Monday, September 19, 2005

Gone With the Waves - A New Beginning

About a year  after I started wearing, I went to the beach with some friends, whom I had not known pre-wig and with whom the subject had never been discussed.  I was feeling pretty cocky, having worn a piece for 2 years without catastrophe. It was just a day trip.  I thought I had fastened the rug down pretty well with extra tape.  Well, the 3 of us were having fun in the ocean.  I dove into a wave... and came up with my bowling ball gleaming in the sun!  Frantically I looked around, but of course, it was gone!  My friends dissolved into gales of laughter.  I spent the rest of the day wearing a baseball cap, which they spent the rest of the day pulling off my head.  In those early days I didnt know enough to always have a spare piece. That had been my only one! I took Monday off, frantically calling my barber, only to realize the universal truth - barbers are closed Mondays!  Now I was desperate.  Tuesday morning I HAD to be in the office for a big meeting. I didn't know what the barber could do for me anyway. I guess I hoped he would have a piece in stock that I could wear.  But, this meeting I had to be at, started at 9:30 and the barber doesn't open until 10.  This was like a really big deal now, and basically what I had to do was start over again.  I went to the office bald - and not only bald, but with my white head usually covered by a toupee set off against my sun-tanned face.  This destroyed my year of image-building in one fell swoop.  I was able to reach the barber by phone, but he confirmed that he had no pieces in stock that would suit me.  We started over again, with the measuring and the fitting, and I was a bald-headed 24-year old for 6 weeks until a new piece came in and I started all over again - from then on I have NEVER been without a spare.

No comments: